Tuesday, 31 January 2017

Block Printing, January 24th

Terry and Diana deep in contemplation

Piles of blocks - made mostly with craft foam and sticky-tape

Helen H's overprint on a dyed piece

Ros P, making pieces to overdye later

Heather H in Layering mode

And some of the results

Working hard

and deep in concentration..

Saturday, 17 December 2016

Thursday, 13 October 2016

Session 1 - Procion Dyes

Helen Butcher and Helen Howes' dyed cloth drying after washout

Over-dye on a rather unexciting print of prawns - now much more potential here. Helen Howes
And three very unsuccessful small quilts have been over-dyed - the top right one is velvet with hand and machine-stitch - I'm really happy about the binding on this one. The left-hand one is still not quite there..  Helen Howes

Heather Hasthorpe's treasures...

And Birgit's delightful results, damp, and drying...

Monday, 22 August 2016


This group has languished far too long, let's play!
Broadland Art Textiles
Alternate Tuesdays
Various Tuesday
from 1:30 till about 5 pm
Programme for 2016/2017

Come and Play...
 Dyes, Fabric Paints, 
Block Printing, 
Thermofax and Screen-print, Rusting,  
Experimental Stitch
Mark-making etc.

These are not  Teaching Sessions, rather an opportunity to play with unfamiliar or messy materials that may not be easy to access otherwise. 

These sessions are not suitable for beginners, those in need of much teaching support, or anyone who cannot handle chemicals

You will also need to stick to the “subject” please - no “extra” projects
The idea is to provide an inspirational working environment to carry your practice forward...

All sessions run from 1:30 pm till I throw you out, and are at

4 The Raveningham Centre
Beccles Road
Norfolk NR14 6NU
Park at the rear of the buildings

Booking is essential

01508 548137

What to bring
Yourself, with ideas and motivation. 
Notebooks, if that’s your method

Photographs (your own, please)

Fabrics and papers to work on (see individual sessions for precise details of these)

Rubber gloves and old clothes, essential

A camera is very useful for recording process. Phone cameras are fine

A piece of work you have made or are in the process of making, for critique

I provide dyes, inks, paints etc, or you can bring your own

There will be a small charge for materials used (typically £3-£10 at most) plus £2.50 for tea and biscuits.

Procion Dyes
Synthetic dyes for cotton, linen, silk, viscose. Brilliant colours which you can mix down for any shade you wish
You bring: cotton, silk, viscose or linen fabrics, containers to dye in (I can lend some), 
I provide: dyes, chemicals,
Tuesday 11th October 2016
Probable cost £4-5

Acid Dyes
Dye silk, wool, nylon, in the microwave. Quick, cheap, and gratifying
You bring: silk, wool, nylon fabrics, 
I provide: dyes, chemicals, use of microwaves
Tuesday 22nd November 2016
Probable cost £4-5

Transfer Dyes
Dye synthetics, polyester, nylon, mixes (not acrylics)
Paint transfer dyes onto paper, dry, then iron off onto your fabrics
Very quick and good for stitching into
You bring: synthetic fabrics, 
I provide: dyes, chemicals, brushes
Tuesday 29th November 2016
Probable cost £4-5
Rust Dyeing
Iron makes marks on any type of cloth - image transfer, very much an “accidental” process
You bring: fabrics (any kind of fabrics can be rusted) or heavy handmade paper;  containers or bags to carry wet items home. String is useful.
I provide: rusty metal, chemicals,
Tuesday 13th December 2016
Probable cost £3

Screen and Thermofax Printing
Stencils, thermofax screens, images on cloth of any kind..
You bring: fabrics, papers, thermofax screens of your own.
I provide: screens and tools, stencil material, cutters, printing  inks
This session was cancelled and will be scheduled for later in the Spring
Probable cost £8-10

Block Printing and Monoprint
Any type of cloth
You bring: fabrics, papers, blocks if you have them
I provide: blocks and block-making materials and tools,  cutters, printing  inks
Tuesday 24th January 2017
Probable cost £8-10

Work on paper or cloth with pens, brushes, etc to make interesting marks - this will be useful if you have dyed cloth and wish to add to it.
You bring: fabrics, paper, pens, any drawing tools you wish
I provide: tools, inks
Tuesday 14th February 2017
Probable cost £3

Experimental Stitch
Improvised Piecing, hand and machine stitch for effect
You bring: sewing machine or hand-stitching tools, threads, fabrics of any kind
I provide: some threads, some fabrics, advice and loan of special feet for sewing-machines
Tuesday 28th February 2017
Probable cost £3-5

Bleach and Discharge
Dark fabrics, and those dyed with Procion dyes, discharge to unexpected colours..
Chemicals, so be aware of safety..
Date TBC (when the weather is nicer, so we can do it outdoors, I think)
Probably cost £3

Wednesday, 23 July 2014

Does Not Equal: Homeless

Does Not Equal: Homeless
congrats on selection helen! i look forward to seeing it at foq and also coming to the class on it. looking good :0)

Friday, 2 May 2014

Journal Quilts

I have finished my first four Journal Quilts (one a month) based on the photographs taken on our trip to the Sainsbury Centre for the Visual Arts. I was captivated by the carved faces..
I have used a commercial batik fabric which I have screen printed over as my backgrounds and appliqued the faces and added stitch and quilting lines. I am hoping that I may be able to join the twelve little quilts together at the end of the year to make a wall piece.

February Wooden face
January, stone face

March, carved face with earrings and nose-ring
April Carved wooden face